- Operate the door or window several times, and take note of any rough spots and sticking points
- Inspect the doors and windows, and remove any visible debris from the sill, trolleys, and other hardware
- Clean the frame and glass twice a year with a safe, non-abrasive cleaning solution. For polycarbonate and other non-glass infill, consult the manufacturer; glass cleaners have the potential to damage other surfaces.
- Inspect gaskets and sealant joints, particularly looking for separation from the frame. Ensure all seals are tight and secure.
- Inspect intersections against structures for movement. Ensure sealant and flashings maintain a tight seal.
- Apply silicone spray or white lithium grease to all hardware and trolleys
- Track systems in areas of extremely high use or high debris should be inspected monthly
High performance windows and doors are designed to last several decades, however, seasonal inspection and maintenance can determine whether they last ten or 40 years. Annual inspection of doors and windows will prevent minor faults from creating major malfunctions down the road and ensure they last for years to come.With impending winter conditions just around the corner, now is the perfect time to inspect exterior doors and windows. Whether your doors and windows are from Solar Innovations, Inc. or another manufacturer, Solar recommends performing the following maintenance at least once a year, unless otherwise noted: