1.01 SECTION INCLUDES
A. Modular Terrace Door System
1.02 RELATED SECTIONS
***Note to Specifier: Select any sections below that are relevant to this project.
A. Section 033000 – Cast-in-place Concrete – Openings in cast-in-place concrete
B. Section 034500 – Precast Concrete Wall Panels: Opening in precast concrete wall panels.
C. Section 048100 – Unit Masonry – Openings in masonry
D. Section 054000 – Cold Formed Metal Framing: Framed Openings
E. Section 061000 – Rough Carpentry: Framed Openings
F. Section 062023 –Interior Finish Carpentry: Interior Wood Casing
G. Section 072100 – Thermal insulation: Batt insulation at window perimeter
H. Section 074600 – Siding and Trim
I. Section 076200 – Flashing and Sheet Metal: Flashing associated with windows and doors
J. Section 079200 – Joint Sealers
1.03 REFERENCE STANDARDS
A. The latest published edition of a reference shall be applicable to this Project unless identified by a specific edition date
B. All reference amendments adopted prior to the effective date of this Specification shall be applicable to this Project
C. All materials, installation, and workmanship shall comply with the applicable requirements and standards addressed within the following references:
***Note to Specifier: Select any reference below that is required by the project.
1. AAMA 611 – Voluntary specifications for anodized architectural aluminum (revised).
2. AAMA 1503 – Voluntary test method for thermal transmittance and condensation resistance of windows, doors, and glazed wall sections
3. ASTM A36/A36M – Standard specification for carbon structural steel
4. ASTM B221/B221M – Standard specification for aluminum and aluminum-alloy extruded bars, rods, wire, profiles, and tubes
5. ASTM B241/B241M – Standard specification for aluminum and aluminum-alloy seamless pipe and seamless tubes
6. ASTM C1115 – Standard specification for dense elastomeric silicone rubber gaskets and accessories
7. ASTM C864 – Standard specification for dense elastomeric compression seal gaskets, setting blocks, and spacers
8. ASTM E283 – Standard test method for structural performance of exterior windows, curtain walls, and doors by uniform static air pressure difference.
9. ASTM E330 – Standard test method for structural performance of exterior windows, curtain walls, and doors by uniform static air pressure difference
10. ASTM E331 – Standard test method for water penetration of exterior windows, curtain walls, and doors by uniform static air pressure difference
11. ASTM E547 – Water penetration of exterior windows, curtain walls, and doors.
12. ASTM E1886 – Standard test method for performance of exterior windows, curtain walls, doors, and impact protective systems impacted by missiles and exposed to cyclic pressure differentials
13. ASTM E1996 – Standard specification for performance of exterior windows, curtain walls, doors, and impact protective systems impacted by windborne debris in hurricanes
14. AWS D1 – Structural welding code
15. FGMA – Flat glass marketing association, glazing manual
1.04 PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS
***Note to Specifier: Edit the U and CRF values in the following section to suit project requirements. Coordinate with manufacturer for the project location, wall size, and local building code to provide a system tailored to your needs.
A. Air Performance – Design, fabricate, assemble, and erect the aluminum glazed system to be permanently free of significant air leakage. Significant leakage shall be defined as a differential test pressure amounting to 20 percent of specified strength performance pressure required with operable windows doors, or joints (if any) sealed to prevent crack leakage.
B. Structural Performance – Structural performance as tested in accordance with ASTM-E330; with no glass breakage or permanent damage to fasteners, anchors, hardware, or actuating mechanisms
1. Normal wall deflection should not exceed 1/175 of clear span for spans lengths of 13′ 6″ or less and 1/240 + ¼” for all others. Restrict deflection to ¾” maximum for individual glazing lites.
2. Parallel to wall deflection should not exceed 175% of glass edge clearance. Restrict deflection to L/360 or 1/8” maximum. Restrict deflection to 1/16″ maximum above doors and/or windows. It shall be permitted to increase the deflection to 1/8″ if the door operation is not affected.
3. Deflection of the entire assembly, including, but not limited to, glass, shall not exceed 1 ½”
C. Thermal Performance – Tested values, certifications, and simulation protocols
1. Thermal Characteristics
***Note to Specifier: Thermal characteristics are available with performance values up to a U-Value – 0.30 and CRF – 41 based on glazing choices. Please note this is subject to glass availability and project specific requirements (Consult manufacturer).
a. U-value –___
b. CRF – ___
2. U-Value – Unit to comply with the U-value NFRC rated, or simulated in accordance with NFRC 100 protocol, shown in manufacturers latest published data for the glazing and sill specified.
3. Solar Heat Gain Coefficient – Unit to comply with the Solar Heat Gain Coefficient NFRC rated, or simulated in accordance with NFRC 200 protocol, shown in manufacturers latest published data for the glazing and sill specified.
1.05 MANUFACTURER’S CERTIFICATES
***Note to Specifier: Select the appropriate set of test results for the project details.
A. SI2250HP Impact Out-swing Terrace Door system when tested on a typical single swing door with two sidelite unit, 108″ wide x 96″ tall (2743mm x 2438mm); panel size 33 11/16″ x 93 1/2″ shall meet or exceed the following performance tests.
1. Modular Mulled Terrace Door – FL Approval #17582.1
a. Out-swing Sill Rating (NCTL 110-15998-1, NCTL 110-15998-2)
(1) Air Infiltration Test – ASTM E 283
(a) Force of 1.6psf = 0.03cfm/ft2 infiltration
(b) Force of 6.2psf = 0.08cfm/ft2 infiltration
(2) Water Penetration Test – ASTM E 331 and ASTM E 547
(a) Water pressure of 6.0psf 5.0gph/ft2 = no leakage
(3) Cycle Pressure Loading Test – ASTM E 1886 and ASTM E 1996
(a) Design pressure of +50/-50psf
A. Submit under the provisions of Section 013000 for review and approval for fabrication.
B. Shop Drawings – Detailed drawings prepared specifically for the project by manufacturer. Include information not fully detailed in manufacturer’s standard product data, including, but not limited to, wall elevations and detail sections of every typical composite member. Show opening dimensions, framed opening tolerances, profiles, product components, anchorages, and accessories.
1. Indicate fastener locations, glazing, and hardware arrangements.
2. Include schedule identifying each unit, with marks or numbers referencing drawings.
3. Must show all surrounding substrates and relevant conditions
4. Must be drawn in the domestic USA, by the manufacturer of the system
C. Product Data – Manufacturer’s data sheets on each product to be used, including:
1. Storage and handling requirements and recommendations
2. Preparation instructions and recommendations
3. Installation methods
***Note to Specifier: Select color section samples if colors have been pre-selected.
D. Color Samples – Two complete color chip sets representing manufacturer’s full range of stocked colors with a standard size of 2″ x 3″ (50mm x 75mm).
E. Verification Samples – required samples for verification of system
1. Aluminum Finish – Two samples, minimum size of 2″ x 3″ (50mm x 75mm), representing actual material and color.
2. Wood Finish – Two samples, minimum size of 2″ x 5″ (50mm x 127mm), representing actual product and color.
3. Glazing – Two samples, minimum size of 12″ x 12″ (300mm x 300mm), representing specified glass, including coatings and/or frit pattern(s).
***Note to Specifier: Assembly sample provided upon request only.
1. Assembly Sample – One sample illustration connection details with a maximum size of 12″ x 12″ x 12″. Glazing included as offered by glass supplier. Sample developed to best represent the specified product.
1.07 QUALITY ASSURANCE
A. Manufacturer qualifications – company shall be a company specializing in the manufacturing of products specified in this section, including, but not limited to, greenhouses, doors, and operable vent systems. Manufacturer shall have at least fifteen (15) years of experience in fabrication and erection of exterior modular terrace door systems for projects of similar scope.
1. Manufacturer must use an extruded aluminum system comprised of domestically produced aluminum and is fabricated/assembled in the use.
2. Manufacturer must be recognized by NAMI.
3. Manufacturer must be a member in good standing of the National Glass Association (NGA).
4. Manufacturing facility must have achieved Gold LEED certification.
B. Installer Qualifications – Installer shall be experienced in performing the work of this section that has specialized in installation of work similar to that required for this project for a minimum of fifteen (15) years.
***Note to Specifier: Include a mock-up if the project size and/or scope warrant taking such a precaution. The following is one example of how a mock-up on a large project might be specified. When deciding on the extent of the mock-up, consider all the major different types of work on the project and consult with product manufacturer prior to selection.
1. Provide a mock-up for evaluation of surface preparation techniques and application workmanship.
a. Approximate size: ___________________
b. Finish areas designated by Architect
c. Do not continue with remaining work until workmanship, color, and sheen are approved by Architect.
d. Refinish mock-up area as required to produce acceptable work.
e. Incorporate accepted mock-up as part of the Work.
1.08 DELIVERY, STORAGE, AND HANDLING
A. Deliver products to the jobsite freight prepaid.
B. Store products in manufacturers original unopened packaging, covered to protect factory finishes from damage, precipitation, and construction dirt until ready for installation
C. Store materials off construction grounds in a secure location that is a dry, covered area and protected from weather conditions
D. Inspect and report any freight damages to the manufacturer immediately.
1.09 PROJECT CONDITIONS
A. Maintain environmental conditions (temperature, humidity, and ventilation_ within limits recommended by manufacturer for optimal results. Do not install products under environmental conditions outside manufacturer’s absolute limits.
B. Perform structural silicone sealant work when air temperature is above 10° F (minus 12° C)
A. Provide manufacturer’s limited warranty that all components are warranted for one (1) year for cases of normal use. Many components are also warranted by the original manufacturers for greater lengths of time. Reference original component manufacturers’ warranties for complete information.
***Note to Specifier: Select the warranty components that do not apply to the project.
B. Warranty Addendum – Manufacturer offers extended warranties and service contracts on a per job basis.
***Note to Specifier: Select warranty below that applies to the selected finish(es).
C. Frame Finish
1. For anodized finishes provide a warranty of five (5) years.
2. For stock color AAMA 2605 finishes with 2-3 coats powder or liquid dependent on color and/or application, provide paint manufacturer’s warranty for color and film integrity for at least fifteen (15) years from date of application.
3. For custom color AAMA 2605 finishes with 2-3 coats powder or liquid dependent on color and/or application, provide paint manufacturer’s warranty for color and film integrity for at least fifteen (15) years from date of application.
4. For stock color AAMA 2604 finishes with 2 coats powder or liquid, provide warranty for color and film integrity for ten (10) years from date of application.
5. For custom color AAMA 2604 with 2 coats powder or liquid, provide paint manufacturer’s warranty for cracking and pulling integrity for five (10) years from date of application.
6. For custom AAMA 2603 finishes with 1 coat liquid only, thermosetting acrylic resin finishes, provide warranty for cracking and pulling integrity for five (5) years from date of application.
7. For stock color AAMA 2603 finishes with 1 coat liquid only, provide paint manufacturer’s warranty for cracking and pulling integrity for at least five (5) years from date of application.
8. Custom warranty period, ____ years, to be approved and accepted in writing by Solar Innovations, Inc. based on project’s scope and application
***Note to Specifier: Under extreme conditions, warranties for glazing may be less than twenty (20) years. Verify conditions with manufacturer. Select the following paragraph if required.
D. Flat Glazing- Provide glazing manufacturer’s standard warranty against defective materials, delamination, seal failure, and defects in manufacturing for up to twenty (20) years prorated or as otherwise provided in or limited by the glass manufacturer’s limited warranty.