Benefits of Lumira® Aerogel
Lumira® aerogel, a translucent product made from a dry silica particulate, is a high performance insulating gel used to insulate a polycarbonate. When added, Lumira® increases thermal ratings and light transmission while reducing glare, sound transmission, and the thermal transfer of heat and cold — the last of which can help minimize energy costs during installation.
Polycarbonate is an effective option when it comes to glazing a structure that will reside in a high traffic or high wind area. The virtually indestructible substance was originally used as a glass replacement, but it is becoming more popular due to its aesthetic qualities and durable composition. However, polycarbonate may need to be insulated in order to achieve maximum user comfort.
In certain applications, Lumira® can assist with meeting LEED requirements, as sustainable purchasing, optimum energy efficiency, occupant comfort, low emission, and daylight points are all possible with Lumira®.
Lumira® can be used in curtain walls, skylights, sunrooms, pool enclosures, greenhouses, conservatories, and practically any other residential or commercial application. Solar Innovations, Inc. has developed a standard line of products featuring Lumira® aerogel for customer convenience, or we can tailor a custom product or structure to include the insulating gel during the design phase.
- In the Workplace: Natural light can help increase production and has been proven to raise employee productivity by 2-16%.
- In the Classroom: Daylighting helps concentration and can increase a student’s performance on tests by as much as 20%.
- In Healthcare: Patients in hospital rooms with windows or skylights experience shorter stays; as daylight contributes to physical health resulting in earlier patient discharge.
- In Retail: Studies have shown an average 25-40% increase in sales in retail stores where skylights provide a significant portion of daytime lighting.
Return on Investment: Performance of Lumira® aerogel yields performance improvements by a factor of four or five. Customers can expect a ROI in under 3-5 years, depending on energy costs.
Distribution Center with 220 Unit Skylights (differential in performance vs. standard domes)
- Energy reduction – 6,000 BTU/hr
- Cost of energy not consumed – $8,500 per year
- Savings over 15 year service life – $127,000
- Carbon footprint reduction – 83 tons per year
SAVE + $125,000 OVER 15 YEARS! Source
Lumira® aerogel saves energy and reduces CO2 emissions, and is even reusable when the building is decommissioned. It’s safe for human and environmental systems which creates healthier living, recreation, and work spaces.
Lumira® aerogel also meets LEED certification
The superior properties of translucent Lumira™ aerogel, make it the obvious choice for insulating a wide variety of daylighting systems from glass to polycarbonate. Its light transmitting nature and superior thermal mean enhanced energy efficiency while enabling a wide range of commercial and residential building design choices. Benefits include:
Source: Lumira Data Sheet
- Hydrophobic / water repellant
- UV stability
- Sound absorption
- Thermal insulation
- High light transmission
- Particle size range: 0.7-4.0mm
- Pore diameter: ~20nm
- Porosity: >90%
- Particle density: 120-180kg/m3
- Surface chemistry: Fully hydrophobic
- Surface area: 600-800m2/g
- Light transmission: 91% per cm
- CAS RN: 102262-30-2
|Wt. lbs/sqft||U Value||R Value||LT %||SHGC||Haze %|
- Bolded values have been verified through NFRC compliant third party testing. All other values based off ASTM Test, ISO Simulations, or extrapolated data.