High performance windows and doors are designed to last several decades, however, seasonal inspection and maintenance can determine whether they last ten or 40 years. Annual inspection of doors and windows will prevent minor faults from creating major malfunctions down the road and ensure they last for years to come.With impending winter conditions just around the corner, now is the perfect time to inspect exterior doors and windows. Whether your doors and windows are from Solar Innovations, Inc. or another manufacturer, Solar recommends performing the following maintenance at least once a year, unless otherwise noted:
- Operate the door or window several times, and take note of any rough spots and sticking points
- Inspect the doors and windows, and remove any visible debris from the sill, trolleys, and other hardware
- Clean the frame and glass twice a year with a safe, non-abrasive cleaning solution. For polycarbonate and other non-glass infill, consult the manufacturer; glass cleaners have the potential to damage other surfaces.
- Inspect gaskets and sealant joints, particularly looking for separation from the frame. Ensure all seals are tight and secure.
- Inspect intersections against structures for movement. Ensure sealant and flashings maintain a tight seal.
- Apply silicone spray or white lithium grease to all hardware and trolleys
- Track systems in areas of extremely high use or high debris should be inspected monthly
Take note of any irregular wear of hinges, trolleys, wheels, and other hardware during the window and door inspection. Replacements are necessary for worn hardware if it affects product performance or operation. Consult the manufacturer if touch-up paint is required or if there are any abnormalities in the appearance or operation of the door or window. Please reference Solar Innovations, Inc.’s care and maintenance information page for a complete guide to door and window maintenance, and contact us if you have any questions.Solar Innovations, Inc. can repair, service, and replace doors and windows supplied by other manufacturers. Contact a Solar Innovations, Inc. Sales Representative for more information